Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Poop Happens



Parental Advisory: My story from tonight is not for those pregnant with their first or intending to become pregnant. I don’t want to freak you out.

Little did I know when Bob left for a meeting after dinner, it was the calm before the storm. This should be a simple affair tonight with the kids I thought. Baths and bedtime for four little sweethearts.


I rounded up the three oldest and into the tub they went, well equipped with loads of toys and bubbles for a fun bath time. It was fun until Gideon (age 4) and Jude (2) jumped out of the tub with appalled cries of, “EvaLee (1) pooped!” To which Gideon added at least ten times, “Gross!” and “Disgusting!”. Yes, it was.


So out comes an innocent and adorable little wet blonde, then loads of toys to be disinfected and of course…the…you know.


Jude (still potty-training) must have been inspired, because he hopped onto the potty to go #2 also. Naturally, this was the time the baby decided to wake from her nap and was releasing a torrent of screams from downstairs in her swing. I pause mid-clean-up to run down and get her and when I returned, Jude had also paused mid-poop to join his naked brother and sister on the bed, OUR bed, to have a super-fun jump jam! Only, he forgot to wipe.



Yes, our washer and dryer are still running as I type.


I get him back on the toilet (where he continues his business), finish cleaning out the tub and clothe my naked children, all while trying to hold a hungry and impatient baby girl. Who was also filling her drawers.


As we say around here: Poop happens.


It would be safe to say nothing tonight went as planned but I am learning life IS the unexpected! As I was wiping cute tooshes and spraying disinfectant, the words of a wise old man I know (my dear husband) came to mind, “You can often see a person’s character not by how they ACT but how they REact to life.”


What do we say and do when life throws us an unexpected twist? When the story we are living has a messy plot and we were hoping for something more like a fairy-tale?


I have had lots of practice these last few years to improve my reaction skills! Not that I have wanted the practice, but it sure seems God thinks we can handle it. Maybe because He never requires us to do it alone. In fact, if it weren’t so messy, I think I would try to do it without any help--even His. Especially His.


 It would make perfect sense for the God of the universe to have more important things to do than help a frazzled mom going through kid-chaos. But He did say, If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. (James 1:4-6) I’m thinking He might have been picturing my night tonight when He said this. Especially the “lacks wisdom” part. Although my favorite part of this verse is the “without finding fault”…isn’t that the best?


God could point out all the ways I handle things wrong before He gives me what I need, you know, to make sure I do it right next time. But He doesn’t, He just gives me grace and I’m pretty sure He’s smiling when he does.


I’m also pretty sure I’m going to have more “poop happens” days, more chances to REact to the unexpected in life with a smile…and thank Heaven, more of God’s grace to do it.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tara -
    I am really enjoying reading your blog. You have a great way with words and your thoughts are very inspiring. So glad Shaylyn posted your blog on FB. It's good to get to know you again! Thanks for writing. ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable feedback! I look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful day!