Friday, January 28, 2011

Three Cheers for Truthful Peeps!




 Can I get three cheers for friends that kick our butts?  For family that loves us and socks it to us when we need a good socking-to?

All speak-the-truth-in-love peeps of my life deserve a HUGE horary!  Yes, this includes you, dear spouse of mine…even if I don’t always cheer you for doing it most days.

Don’t you love those people?  

Now don’t get me wrong,  I’ll get in line with the best of the blues-crew/cryin’-in-my-beer (or soda) crowd hoping to get some fellow mourner to cry with me or, even better, pat me on the back and say how RIGHT and JUSTIFIED I am in my upset-ed-ness.  I really appreciate a good friend that plays a “hearts and flowers” tune on the world’s tiniest violin or serves me some cheese with my whine…but sometimes, I really don’t need cheese or a violin.  

Sometimes, I need a kick-my-butt-talk that ever so gently (think piano dropping on your head from a fifth story window) helps me to see the error of MY ways (yes, this happens though it is rare) and shows me the light!
There are some important things that must first be in place before a “loving truth say-er” can truly ignite my heart with a passion to change and enlighten me with a fresh perspective (verses just making me want to go and pout…and eat chocolate…and ice-cream.).

The first thing I must know is that these truthful peeps are FOR me. “There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother” (Proverbs 18:23)

I must know their intent is to HELP me become a better friend/mother/wife/Christ-follower. “In all my prayers for you, I always pray with joy.” (Phil. 1:4)

I must know that whether I CHANGE or not, they will still love me for me.  “Love is patient, love is kind…love never fails.” (1 Cor. 13)

I may be a softy on the outside, but I have a hard core and let me tell ya, sometimes I need someone to kick my pouty-think-I’m-always-right butt into shape…then give me a hug and still love me for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your valuable feedback! I look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful day!